Friday, 13 June 2008

An unhappy brother!

Nobody realises that some people expend enormous energy merely to be normal - Albert Camus

My brother has suggested that I give up my pretensions of being a tattooist. He's says I'm great for sorting out his accounts, tax and finances; looking after his kids etc, but I should stop deluding myself that I'm ever going to be any good with the ink. He's a cruel man.

It all came to a head yesterday when a friend of his came in asking for the name of his girlfriend to be tattooed across his lower back. I looked at him and I said, 'look, marry her, have a few kids, get a mortgage, but a tattoo . . . a tattoo is like . . . permanent . . . '

The upshot of this is that I'm no longer working in the parlours with my big designer brother. He said I was a liability . . . okay, so I pass out at the sight of needles. Another fulfilling career bites the dust!

I've been asked to look over a friend's manuscript. It's not bad, it'd work well as a film script or a TV drama, it's all cops and robbers. I've asked for a radical re-draft, but he hasn't come back to me. I'll let him lick his wounds for awhile. I hate my work being critiqued as well. I sulk for days. Truthfully? Months on end then!!! I must get on with my own 'work in progress' - leave Patsy to her pole and Polly to her lyrics. I don't have the stamina to keep up with either.

I'm tired.

2 comments:

dannyboy said...

Its funny how the world (or at least our corner of it) has changed in that we no longer consider things like marrage and having kids with someone as permerment...

maby instead of exchanging wedding rings the vicker should get out a needle and tattoo the happy couple...

maby would that be a better symbol of their true comitment...

Grump said...

Some of your writing is similar in style to John Kennedy Toole. The guy who wrote 'A Confederacy of Dunces'
I love that book.
Mark